DJ can be described as a "teddy bear". While his large size can make him look intimidating, his true demeanor is anything but that. He is actually a very soft spoken and sensitive guy who is very compassionate and kind to those around him. He is often seen sleeping with a teddy bear and tends to cry or overreact to many minor situations. However DJ wants the best for everyone and values the safety of everyone else more than winning a challenge. He loves animals, and has adopted a few pets during his time on Total Drama. Unfortunately, they don't always return his affections. Many of DJ's encounters with animals end with one side sustaining injury. His compassionate behavior has made him one of the most popular competitors among the cast. He sometimes can be too sensitive and easily frightened, which interferes with his challenge performances. DJ holds his mother to the highest authority, crediting her for making him the way he is and names her as his best quality. She is also responsible for a huge decision DJ once had to make, when he is haunted by an illegal deal. He loves cooking, and the food he has crafted has been enjoyed by a majority of the cast.
In Not So Happy Campers - Part 1, DJ is the second contestant to arrive on the island. Upon arriving, the island isn't exactly what DJ expected, saying it looked a lot different in the application form. DJ is put on the Killer Bass. In Not So Happy Campers - Part 2, DJ and Courtney both chickened out of the cliff-dive, costing their team the challenge as DJ refused to do it due to a fear of both heights and water. For elimination, Duncan claims that DJ will be far more helpful in the physical challenges. However, Ezekiel is eliminated that night instead of DJ or Courtney because of his sexist comments about women he had made earlier that day.
In The Big Sleep, DJ remains quiet for the whole episode but does fairly well in the twenty-kilometer run. In the "Awake-A-Thon" challenge, DJ ties himself to a tree to prevent falling asleep but ultimately falls asleep somewhere in between the twenty and forty hour mark, taking the tree down with him. In Dodgebrawl, he competes in almost all of the rounds and does pretty well in them. In the first round, he is able to get most of the Gophers out, with the exception of Cody. Later, when the score is two to zero, most of the team wants Duncan to play, to which DJ points out that he will kill them if someone wakes him up. He cheers for Harold in the final round, and carries him after their team's first victory. DJ performs his ribbon dance in Not Quite Famous. During the audition, he does very well and is signed up to perform in the talent show challenge. While practicing, DJ and the other guys bet Bridgette that she couldn't stand on her hands for twenty minutes. During the talent show, he messed up and only won two points for his team.In The Sucky Outdoors, DJ shows a liking for animals, as he finds a bunny in the woods, befriending it and naming it "Bunny". In Phobia Factor, DJ reveals that he is afraid of snakes, leading him to face said fear during the challenge which he is able to overcome his phobia. DJ also has a fear of water, as revealed in Up the Creek as he talks about an incident in which he receives an extreme wedgie after diving into the water, leading to him having to go to the hospital to get his shorts removed from his butt. Geoff, however, helps him conquer his fear of water after DJ gave him advice on how to get Bridgette's attention. This proves helpful as DJ pushes his team to victory in the canoe challenge. In Paintball Deer Hunter, DJ is assigned to be a deer, in which he embraces his role and perfectly mimics a deer (to the point where he even eats grass and runs on all fours), even when being chased by Owen. When he realizes that Owen had no paintballs left, DJ angrily tosses him over the cliff.
Despite being kindhearted, DJ joins Geoff and Duncan in playing pranks on Harold in If You Can't Take The Heat... (although they were just trying to teach him a lesson about leaving his dirty underwear out in the cabin). He even helps bring Harold's bunk out to the dock so the girls could see him naked. In Who Can You Trust?, DJ asks Geoff to look after Bunny for him, but due to Geoff's carelessness, Bunny gets eaten by a snake. However, Geoff tells DJ that Bunny simply ran off, leaving DJ in tears. However, during the "Blind Toboggan Race", Duncan finds him a new bunny, expressing how Duncan had lost his dog after it ran away when he was a child. He did not want DJ to go through the same ordeal, although he kept that sentiment well-hidden from DJ.
DJ is shown to be easily scared during the horror movie challenge, to the point where he jumps into Leshawna's arms when he gets scared. Later on, DJ needs to go to the bathroom and takes Geoff with him to make sure he won't be attacked and "killed". However, once he steps into the bathroom, he sees Heather with a facial mask, shaving her legs. This sight scares DJ so much that he flees, making a hole in the door in the process. He ends up running all the way to Chris's surveillance tent and finds out it was a ruse. Later, Chris announces that DJ fared the worst out of every contestant, as he had been scared off before the "killer" even showed up, and hence he is eliminated. Before boarding the Boat of Losers, DJ shares a group hug with everyone.
In Haute Camp-ture, DJ is seen taking care of Bunny the whole episode. However, he loses him several times, due to the fact that Bunny is accident-prone. Later, when Chris asks the eliminated contestants of which person in the final five that they want to win, DJ states that Duncan should win, due to him finding Bunny and his dodgeball strategy in Dodgebrawl. In The Very Last Episode, Really!, Gwen mentions that she considers him as one of the sane people she has met on the show. When he arrives to the island with the other eliminated contestants, he is on Gwen's side, but after Owen mentions his party, DJ switches sides along with a majority of Gwen's other supporters. At the beginning of the special, he is the only person who notices Tyler drowning in the pool. So he jumps into the pool though Tyler ends up saving him instead. DJ teams up with Cody, Owen, and Tyler in the search for the case. When they found the causes on a tree, DJ encourages Tyler to get the case down, in which Tyler manages to do after many tries. Much later, the alliance has the case again, but they are caught in a hot air balloon controlled by Courtney. She threatens to kill all four of them for the case. When they jump out of the balloon, she grabs the case. At the end, DJ is at the lake, qualifying for another chance to win the prize in Total Drama Action.
DJ makes his debut in Monster Cash. After seeing the huge, scary animatronic monster, DJ passes out, making him out early in the first challenge. DJ teams up with Duncan, Gwen and Trent in the second episode to find alien eggs. When he is shot with a paintball (and eliminated from the challenge), he dramatically tells the others to go on without him.
In Riot On Set, DJ is chosen by Gwen to be on the Screaming Gaffers. He becomes a huge neat-freak, as he assigns himself to be the make-up person for his team. Chef Hatchet (who sees some of himself in DJ) pulls him aside and forces him to be in a secret alliance, which somehow makes DJ tougher.
Chef starts to give DJ advice on how to be tougher, which is seen in Beach Blanket Bogus when DJ is told to not be ashamed of his nude body and to not be a victim. This somehow leads to DJ helping Chef with his kitchen as an apprentice around the time of The Chefshank Redemption, due to Chef's lack of cooking skills. He is also taken away from his team more often outside of the challenges, which the Gaffers notice but do not think too much of it at first. His absence begins to raise questions in One Flu Over the Cuckoos, which is brought up by Heather. However, DJ is able to quickly slip out of the kitchen, claiming that he had been there the entire time without garnering any suspicion.
In The Sand Witch Project, the guilt due to being in an illegal alliance eventually becomes too much for DJ to handle. He begins to have dreams and hallucinations about his mother becoming very angry with him and telling him that "nobody likes a cheater", also claiming she didn't raise him to cheat. Chef also becomes much more involved in helping DJ and his team win the challenges, which ended up getting him in trouble with the producers. During the Gilded Chris Ceremony at the end of the episode, DJ confessed to everyone on the show about his secret alliance with Chef, and asks to leave the competition, making him the second character in the Total Drama series to either vote or eliminate themselves (after Gwen merely two episodes ago).DJ soon enough appears in The Aftermath: II, with his mother who is in the audience. It is revealed that even though Chef had pampered him with many goods that the other castmates did not get to enjoy (such as fresh laundry, packages from home, and healthier food), Chef forced DJ to compromise his own moral character by reading a script to make fake confessionals about how he didn't feel bad about doing whatever it took to win. During the "Truth or Anvil" segment of the show, DJ is almost crushed by an anvil when he lies about not having a secret recipe for his sandwiches, but, eventually, comes clean and tells the truth. Frightened that another one would be coming after him, DJ finally came out and said that he added two pinches of Hungarian paprika to the mayonnaise as his secret touch. DJ votes for Beth to win Total Drama Action in the finale because he thinks that she would make a gentle millionaire, and the world needs more of those. In Beth's ending, DJ carries Beth when she wins.
In Celebrity Manhunt's Total Drama Action Reunion Special, it is shown that DJ and his mom have started up a kitchen show after the season, but got sued because their food was unhealthy, and ended up homeless. DJ, along with his mother, arrived at the red carpet on their tour bus. When asked by Sierra how it felt to "have it all" and then "lose it all," DJ responds with a simple "no biggie." Sierra is about to ask DJ who he can't stand in Total Drama, but DJ's mother slaps Sierra and says that she didn't raise her son to talk trash behind people's backs. The ex-contestants used DJ's tour bus to stop Chris from airing Total Drama Dirtbags. He qualifies for Total Drama World Tour and says he will buy his mom a house and a new bus if he wins.
In Walk Like An Egyptian - Part 1, DJ has to carry Owen down as the latter is still afraid of flying. When Chris introduces the Total Drama Jumbo Jet, DJ comments on the newcomer Alejandro and states that he is as "smooth as momma's gravy", referring to Alejandro's impression on the female contestants. When the contestants arrive in Egypt, DJ is paired with Harold and Leshawna as the three choose the corridor with the beetle sign. Along the way, DJ finds a chamber filled with mummified animals and pets a mummified dog with affection. However, this disintegrates the dog and triggers a trap, releasing a swarm of scarabs that chase the trio. The three of them are the first to exit the pyramid and deem themselves Team Victory along with Bridgette, Ezekiel and Lindsay. Despite their success in the first episode, DJ's team loses the challenge in Walk Like An Egyptian - Part 2 and eliminates Ezekiel.
Throughout the season, DJ keeps injuring any animals he encounters by accident. This includes several seagulls, a panda bear in Japan, a baby seal in the Yukon, a turtle in New York and a baby goat in the German Alps. DJ realizes that he could have been cursed for destroying the mummified dog in Egypt, though Leshawna assures him that he isn't. This doesn't convince DJ otherwise and his path of destruction continues to the point that he attempts many times to leave the competition. Whether or not the curse is real or only in his mind, DJ's team suffers a losing streak and loses most of its members in the first few episodes, leaving only DJ and Lindsay by the end of Slap Slap Revolution.
In The Am-AH-Zon Race, DJ still believes that he should have been eliminated for hurting animals until Lindsay gives him a pep talk that their luck is bound to change. True enough, Team Victory is the first team to reach the zip line, giving themselves the only T-Bar available and is awarded a large quantity of bananas for dinner when they reach their campsite. That night, DJ is woken up by a troop of monkeys, which he mistakes for insects, and slaps them until he is shined by Lindsay's flashlight. Horrified about what he has done, DJ bandages up the monkeys and attempts to leave the camp quietly with Lindsay. However, he accidentally steps on a twig, waking up the monkeys who proceed to attack him. Nevertheless, Team Victory reaches Machu Picchu first and win the challenge for the first time in the season after Lindsay finds the gold. Back in the plane, DJ allows Lindsay to bring Tyler to first class with them.
Still guilty about the number of animals he hurt, DJ decides to become a vegan in Can't Help Falling in Louvre. In the Louvre, DJ finds an Egyptian exhibit, containing a replica of the mummified dog he destroyed in Egypt. Believing that he could end his curse once and for all if he brings it back to Egypt, DJ takes the dog with him. As he attempts to exit the museum, DJ is chased by the baby seal, the bear, and Sasquatchanakwa, causing the golf cart he is driving to crash into his team's statue. Though Izzy manages to save the dog, she accidentally breaks it while celebrating. Team Victory loses the challenge again and DJ tells Lindsay that he will vote himself off; however, Chris insists upon a fashion show tiebreaker challenge. DJ decides to choose Gwen as his model, believing that she will be the worst candidate due to her dislike in modeling. To further his chances of losing, DJ gives her his shirt and hat instead of a proper design. However, the judges declare him the winner over Lindsay, much to his disappointment.
As the last member of Team Victory, the other teams attempt to recruit DJ as an ally in Newf Kids on the Rock. However, DJ has lost the will to continue on and attempts to get himself eliminated by not performing the challenges and refuses to sing. However, Heather is able to trick him into singing Sea Shanty Mix and completing the first two challenges, much to his displeasure. During the final challenge, DJ refuses to kiss the fish, even when Heather points out that it has an Egyptian symbol on it, which might remove his curse. After a pep talk from Alejandro, DJ finally does it and ties for first place with Team Chris Is Really Really Really Really Hot, keeping himself in the game. After two hours, DJ believes that his curse is finally broken and thanks Alejandro for helping him.
With his confidence returned, DJ is determined to win the season in Jamaica Me Sweat. He has also adopted the fish he kissed in the previous episode and names it Irene. While he is glad to have a friend like Alejandro, he opts not to join his team as Chris forbids him from doing so. In a bout of dramatic irony, no longer seeing DJ as a potential ally, Alejandro plans to make DJ lose the next challenge and get him eliminated. During the bobsled challenge, DJ initially has the best record, but upon "overhearing" Alejandro telling Tyler that the Egyptian symbol on Irene is fake, DJ believes that his curse isn't broken and loses his confidence again. On his next turn, DJ's curse takes effect again and he accidentally injures several seagulls and a walrus before going over a loose plank, broken by Alejandro in the previous turn, and is launched into the air. DJ loses the challenge and is automatically eliminated; and despite the plane being stuck on land, DJ is still required to take the Drop of Shame. Upon landing, he is attacked by a colony of fire ants and with his elimination, Team Victory is officially disbanded.
In Aftermath: Revenge of the Telethon, DJ appears as a guest for the telethon, with the initial idea of him cooking a special dinner for those who donate. When this fails to raise any money, Geoff starts a new segment called "DJ's World of Animals", showing various clips of him injuring animals during his time on the show. The animals that he hurt are then brought to the studio in cages, with the ultimatum that as people donate, DJ will pet one. DJ attempts to pet the baby goat but it roars at him, and when the donations got to a certain price, Blaineley releases the animals into attacking him. DJ however, manages to escape the studio unharmed while everyone else is attacked by the animals, leaving the studio in ruins and the goal doubled.
When it comes to the final three, DJ chooses to support Cody over Heather or Alejandro, but switches over to Heather's side after Cody is eliminated in Hawaiian Punch. When Heather defeats Alejandro and wins the season in her ending, DJ cheers for her. When the volcano begins to erupt, DJ and his fellow contestants swim away from the island.
DJ returns in Eat, Puke and Be Wary, tied to a dolly by Chef. He is terrified that he has come back to Camp Wawanakwa, as he had vowed never to return again as long as he lived, but is forced to due to his contract. Chef forces DJ to judge the final four's meals that they created from ingredients in the woods. He doesn't like any of them, and when Scott's quiche grows an eyeball, DJ screams in horror. He rips through the rope that is tying him down and runs away screaming.
A child version of DJ appears as a former student at the daycare in Gum and Gummer. Chef Hatchet's recounts of the day when DJ, Katie, and Trent blew bubble gum so big that they floated into the air and was blown away. Only one of the kids are found but which kid is unknown. DJ's appearance is very similar to his older counterpart with the exception of the letter "D" on his shirt isn't capital.
- View this video for DJ's audition tape.
DJ is in his room talking about how he was raised right and shows everyone a photo of his mom. He then bursts into tears as he says "I love you" to the photo and thanks everyone for listening.interns. In Total Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama Island, he is seen in the car at the drive-through when Courtney finds out the truth about the island, and he later makes appearances in Total Drama Action, alongside the intern whose design was first Duncan's, then Cody's. His design would be later used for B in Total Drama: Revenge of the Island.
- DJ, Izzy, Anne Maria, and Ella, are the only contestants to leave in an episode in which their team won the challenge.
- DJ is one of the contestants to be involved in a double elimination but did not leave at the same time, as he left after Izzy in Jamaica Me Sweat. The others being Cody and Heather/Alejandro in Hawaiian Punch and Gwen and Scott in The Bold and the Booty-ful.
- DJ is one of the few characters to have dotted eyes, the others being Beth, Chris, DJ's mother, Harold, Miles, Mary, Pete, Rodney, Sam, and Tom.
- DJ is one six contestants to be known by their nicknames, the others being B, Blaineley, MacArthur, Lightning, and Samey.
- DJ and B are the only contestants to go by their initials.
- DJ is the first contestant to curse, the others being Alejandro, Courtney, Emma, Heather, Izzy, Leshawna, Lindsay, and Owen.
- DJ is one of the few characters who selflessly argued that he should be kicked off instead of someone else. In his case, either Lindsay or Justin. DJ is also only one to actually win his argument.
- DJ, along with Leshawna, is one of the only characters who never ended up in the bottom two in Total Drama Island.
- Until the debut of Rodney and Jasmine, DJ was the tallest contestant overall, and still remains the tallest contestant of the original cast.
- DJ is the first male contestant to arrive on Total Drama Island.
- DJ is one of the few characters to have their ethnicity verified. His Total Drama Island: Totally Interactive! bio refers to him as Jamaican.
- This makes him one of the only five contestants known to be born outside of Canada. The other four are Eva, who was born in an East European village, Justin, who was born in Hawaii, Alejandro, who was born in Spain, and Jasmine, who was born in Australia.
- Ironically, he was eliminated there in Total Drama World Tour.
- Additionally, DJ and Justin are the only two characters to have visited their country or state of origin in Total Drama World Tour.
- DJ is one of fourteen contestants never to be voted out normally, the others being Anne Maria, Amy, Cameron, Ella, Jasmine, Max, Mike, Scarlett, Shawn, Sierra, Sky, Sugar, and Zoey.
- In Hook, Line, and Screamer, DJ was eliminated due to his poor performance in the challenge.
- In The Sand Witch Project, DJ quit the competition.
- In Jamaica Me Sweat, DJ was automatically eliminated due to coming in last and being the only one left on his team.
- DJ is the first contestant in the series to have an alliance with an authority figure, the others being Owen, Ezekiel, and Blaineley.
- He is also the first of only two contestants to be aligned with Chef Hatchet, the other being Blaineley.
- DJ, along with Chris, Courtney, Harold, and Owen, appear in a Cartoon Network parody called "Total Drama Reality."
- DJ has been on the same team as Harold in the first three seasons, as they were both were on the Killer Bass, Screaming Gaffers, and Team Victory.
- DJ is the second contestant to be cursed, the first being Beth and the Ice Dancers being third.
- DJ, along with Lindsay, Izzy, Tyler, Courtney, Sierra, and Cody, doesn't sing in the episode he's eliminated in Total Drama World Tour.
- DJ is the second person to vote for themselves; with the first being Gwen, and the others being Dave, Harold, and Lindsay.
- DJ is one of five contestants on the show to attempt to throw a challenge, the others being Courtney, Gwen, Scott, and Trent.
- DJ and Eva are the only original contestants to not be romantically involved with another contestant, whether it is one-sided or mutually.
- DJ is the fifth veteran to be a part of a challenge in Total Drama: Revenge of the Island, the others being Izzy, Lindsay, Gwen, and Heather.
- He is the only male veteran to be part of a challenge.
- DJ and Bridgette are the only cast members to make an individual cameo in Total Drama: Revenge of the Island but not appear in the fifth season.
- DJ is the first contestant to ever quit the competition.
- DJ placed eighth in Total Drama Island, while he was the eighth eliminated in Total Drama World Tour.
- DJ is the only contestant to be in the bottom two in every elimination ceremony that his team has attended before his elimination.
- In addition, he has been in the bottom two more consecutive times than any other character as he was in the bottom two four times in a row in Total Drama World Tour.
- DJ and Scott are so far the only highest ranking team members to not have been finalists.
- He also receives the most barf bags in Total Drama World Tour, along with Lindsay, with four each.
- This is due to their team being the only one to have Barf Bags at the ceremonies.
- DJ's elimination in both Total Drama Island and Total Drama Action coincidentally involves horror-themed challenges.
- DJ is one of the contestants with a family member that has appeared in the competition at some point. The others being Leshawna with Leshaniqua and Alejandro with José.
- Even before Total Drama World Tour, DJ has been seen having bad luck with animals (mostly his two bunnies):
- In the opening song of Total Drama Island, DJ is seen being attacked by several small creatures.
- His first bunny was eaten by a viper and then by an eagle and then by a shark (not his fault this time).
- In No Pain, No Game, DJ's torture was being constricted by a large snake.
- In Hide and Be Sneaky, Owen and DJ get caught after both of them tried to reach a tiny bird on the roof.
- In Haute Camp-ture, his second bunny was kidnapped by an eagle while he was petting him and then fell in Cody's barbecue, escaping when Cody opened it. Shortly after, DJ had Bunny (now bandaged) sent flying after hitting with too much strength the end table it was on.
- In Total Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama Island, he, Tyler, Cody, and Owen were hanging from Courtney's balloon while a bear was climbing the rope after them.
- DJ has been eliminated back-to-back with Izzy in the first three seasons.
- According to DJ's Total Drama World Tour contestant biography, his favorite music is Jamaican reggae and his favorite food is his Mama's chickpea roti.
- It also states that his favorite movie is "Bob the Gallant Sheep" and that his favorite color is blue.
|Interactions with||Everyone | Bridgette | Chef Hatchet | Duncan | Geoff | Gwen | Harold | Heather | Owen|
|Other content||Curse of the Mummified Dog | DJ's bunnies | DJ's mother | Guys' alliances | Irene|
|Eliminated from Total Drama Island|
|Lindsay||Hook, Line, and Screamer||Izzy|
|Eliminated from Total Drama Action|
|Gwen||The Sand Witch Project||Izzy|
|Eliminated from Total Drama World Tour|
|Izzy||Jamaica Me Sweat||Noah|
|Killer Bass teammates|
|Bridgette | Courtney | DJ | Duncan | Eva | Ezekiel | Geoff | Harold | Izzy | Katie | Sadie | Tyler|
|Screaming Gaffers teammates|
|DJ | Duncan | Gwen | Harold | Heather | Leshawna|
|Team Victory teammates|
|Bridgette | DJ | Ezekiel | Harold | Leshawna | Lindsay|