Created as a parody of shows such as Survivor and Fear Factor, Total Drama Island focuses on twenty-two teenagers' arrival at Camp Wawanakwa to compete on a reality television show. The contestants are divided into two teams and must compete in challenges every three days. While the winning team earns invincibility, the losing team has to vote off one of their own players. Whoever is voted off must walk the Dock of Shame to the Boat of Losers and leave the island. The teams eventually dissolve and the elimination process continues until the last contestant standing wins a grand prize of $100,000.
|Voice actor||Role||Episode count|
|Scott McCord||Owen||27/27 episodes|
|Megan Fahlenbock||Gwen||27/27 episodes|
|Rachel Wilson||Heather||27/27 episodes|
|Drew Nelson||Duncan||27/27 episodes|
|Christian Potenza||Chris||27/27 episodes|
|Clé Bennett||Chef Hatchet||25/27 episodes|
|Novie Edwards||Leshawna||25/27 episodes|
|Dan Petronijevic||Geoff||25/27 episodes|
|Clé Bennett||DJ||23/27 episodes|
|Stephanie Anne Mills||Lindsay||22/27 episodes|
|Kristin Fairlie||Bridgette||21/27 episodes|
|Scott McCord||Trent||20/27 episodes|
|Katie Crown||Izzy||18/27 episodes|
|Brian Froud||Harold||17/27 episodes|
|Emilie-Claire Barlow||Courtney||16/27 episodes|
|Lauren Lipson||Sadie||15/27 episodes|
|Sarah Gadon||Beth||14/27 episodes|
|Peter Oldring||Cody||13/27 episodes|
|Stephanie Anne Mills||Katie||11/27 episodes|
|Peter Oldring||Tyler||11/27 episodes|
|Adam Reid||Justin||9/27 episodes|
|Carter Hayden||Noah||8/27 episodes|
|Julia Chantrey||Eva||8/27 episodes|
|Peter Oldring||Ezekiel||6/27 episodes|
|Original Teams|| Primary Teams|
Katie & Izzy
| Battle of |
| 1st Voted Out|
| 3rd Voted Out|
| 4th Voted Out|
| 5th Voted Out|
| 6th Voted Out|
| 8th Voted Out|
| 9th Voted Out|
| 10th Voted Out|
| 11th Eliminated|
| 12th Voted Out|
|Merge||2nd Voted Out|
| 13th Voted Out|
| 14th Voted Out|
| 15th Voted Out|
| 16th Eliminated|
| 17th Eliminated|
| 18th Voted Out|
| 19th Voted Out|
| 20th Eliminated|
| 21st Eliminated|
| 22nd Eliminated|
Total Drama Island: Totally Interactive!
The official website for this season, Total Drama Island: Totally Interactive! features an interactive campsite with information about the season, games inspired by each challenge, wallpapers, screensavers, and a create-your-own-character feature.
Camp TV is the original prototype for Total Drama Island and only featured eighteen of this season's twenty-two contestants.
Censorship in the United States
Total Drama Island episodes are usually rated TV-PG in the United States, for suggestive dialogue and aggressive language. On occasion, an episode will be rated TV-PG D for mild flirtatious dialogue, such as X-Treme Torture.
Total Drama Island has been released on DVD by Cartoon Network (Total Drama Island: The Complete First Season) and Madman Entertainment in Australia. Cartoon Network's DVD features the entire first season with the censoring of some dialogue, while the Australian DVDs are unedited and split into two collections.
On Netflix, Total Drama Island contains, HD, full screen, 16:9 aspect ratio, using the censored version.
- This is the first of three seasons to take place entirely at Camp Wawanakwa, with the others being Total Drama: Revenge of the Island and Total Drama All-Stars.
- This is the first of two seasons in which the remaining two finalists are from the same team. This happens again in Total Drama All-Stars.
- This is the only season not to feature a double-elimination.
- This is the only season in which both teams' lowest-ranking members are male.
- This is the only season that does not feature a prize of one million dollars; the prize was $100,000 until Total Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama Island featured a million-dollar grand prize, setting the trend for future seasons.
- This is currently the only season that Eva, Katie, and Sadie compete in.
- This is currently the only season where Izzy competes and is not the first of her team to be eliminated.
- This is currently the only season where Bridgette competes and is not the first female contestant eliminated.
- This season features the highest amount of eliminations of any season so far (including the two returning contestants and Gwen or Owen's loss in the finale), with twenty-three total.
- Excluding Total Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race, this season features the highest amount of challenges and contestants of any season.
- This season features seven irregular eliminations. This is the reverse of Total Drama World Tour, which featured only seven regular eliminations.
- This is one of only two seasons to have its main promotional image be a moment from an actual episode, with the other being Total Drama World Tour.
- Total Drama Island has been featured as a question on the game show Jeopardy!, with both Dodgebrawl and Brunch of Disgustingness being mentioned as part of the clue.
- The series being advertised as "the first animated reality show" was similar to the promotion of the mature animated series, Drawn Together.