The two teams take their canoes to a nearby island and build rescue fires. Two campers become closer due to the intervening of a friend, while an unlikely partnership ultimately wins for its team. At the same time, someone begin to return their crush's feelings despite their sappy gift. Unaware of the consequences, somebody picks up a cursed idol which "curses" her team, while another camper's past catches up to her, causing a sudden elimination.
The episode opens with Chris explaining the week's challenge to the teams (excluding Beth, who is in the bathroom). To win the challenge and invincibility, the campers must paddle their canoes to Boney Island, portage their canoes through a two-hour journey through the island's deep woods, reach the island's other side, build a "rescue" bonfire, which Chris himself will assess, and then race back to Camp Wawanakwa. Chris explains how Boney Island, their destination, has a legend stating that anyone who removes an item from the island will be cursed forever, and then dismisses the campers to begin the challenge. Soon after this, Beth returns from the bathroom, having been absent throughout the explanation, and asks what she missed. Chris summarizes the entire challenge as "canoes," leaving out his warning about the curse.
|“||Chris told us to pick a paddling partner. It was time for me to make my move. If I could just get Gwen alone for five minutes, I knew I could woo her with my manly charms.||”|
As the campers pick their partners to ride in the canoe with, Gwen and Trent look to each other with the intent of going across the lake together, but they are interrupted by Cody who proposes Gwen the same offer Trent was giving. Irritated by his interference, Gwen responds by angrily injuring him.
Meanwhile, Beth and Lindsay drag Trent off to paddle with them. Seeing this, Gwen reluctantly allows Cody to partner with her on the trip. Geoff is shown to be eager to have Bridgette as his canoe partner, but he is ignored, as she chooses to be partners with her friend Courtney. DJ offers to be Geoff's partner in her place.
|“||Man, I thought Bridge and I were tight, but suddenly, I don't know, it's like she's fadin' on me. Nah! It's all good!||”|
Duncan forces Harold and Sadie to be in his canoe group while Owen partners up with Heather. Leshawna partners up with Izzy, and the latter tells Leshawna that she is "1/87th Cherokee," and that the tribe could claim her at any time. Leshawna hopes that it happens today.
Meanwhile, DJ is worried about the canoe tipping over. This causes Geoff to comfort DJ, stating that it will be fine unless the water is rough.
|“||When I was eight, my brothers dared me to jump off the high-dive platform at the pool. I was scared, but I jumped. I wasn't gonna let them call me chicken. I landed on my butt. Sounds better than a belly flop, right? Wrong. My trunks went so far up my butt, I had to go to the hospital and get them removed. They invented a new word for what I did. The wedgie flop. I've been afraid of water ever since.||”|
Owen cheerfully throws Heather into the canoe and pushes it into the water. Cody also tries to help Gwen by pulling the canoe into the water, but fails at doing so. As all of the canoes are in the water, Chris fires a gun to signal the start of the challenge, but accidentally shoots an eagle in the process. Bridgette tells Courtney that Geoff left her a present that morning in the form of a heart-shaped clay bowl with a torn group photo glued together to make herself and Geoff appear next to each other and an inscription on the back reading "I hope you think of me whenever you drop loose change into this." Both girls find this gesture unbearably corny, as does DJ when Geoff tells him about it. Since Geoff was supportive about DJ's fear of water, or aquaphobia, DJ felt he owed it to Geoff to give him some love advice so that he could more effectively win over Bridgette.
Cody attempts several times to ask Gwen out on a date while they paddle across the lake, only to get a rejection each time. He only gives up when she hits him in the groin with her paddle.
|“||Okay, maybe she wasn't quite ready for the Code-meister.||”|
Eventually, Cody realizes that Gwen is rejecting him because she prefers Trent. Gwen's attitude towards Cody greatly improves when he offers to put in a good word for her with Trent, with whom he is allegedly close to. Gwen admits she would owe Cody for doing this favor. Cody is then reminded of a bet he made with Owen, which he would win if Gwen would comply and give Cody one of her bras. This causes Gwen to ram her paddle into Cody's groin again, and he realizes that his request crossed the line.
The campers arrive at Boney Island, with everyone but Izzy being spooked by the strange mist floating over the water and the island's general morbid atmosphere. The two teams sprint through the forest to the other side of the island, keeping their canoes over their heads, eager to complete the challenge. They come across carnivorous woolly beavers along the way, who pursue the campers into a swamp-like area before abandoning them.
|“||A remnant of the Pleistocene Era, the woolly beaver is a day-active rodent indigenous to Boney Island. Oh, yeah, and they're meat eaters!||”|
Owen ruins his underwear, and in the midst of asking for a spare, he farts, waking giant geese. The campers again run for their lives. Cody then has an idea and pulls a wrapped loaf of bread from his pants — which was intended for a romantic picnic for him and Gwen — and throws it at the geese, temporarily diverting their attention and, therefore, allowing everyone to flee to safety.
As the Bass take the lead, they come to a crossroads. Courtney suggests they take the left path, but Geoff says to go right, which Bridgette agrees with. Geoff looks back and smiles at her, provoking Bridgette to ask what he's looking at. The Gophers are not far behind as they see the Bass taking the right path, prompting them to take the left. Suddenly, Trent falls victim to a pit of quicksand, which was put up by Chris himself, much to his amusement.
As he sinks, Lindsay resolves to save him, but only ends up getting stuck herself. Trent calls for help, to which Cody answers by swinging on a vine to grab Trent's hand. He fails to catch Trent and crashes into a tree instead, but the vine comes back to the quicksand area where Trent is able to grab it and pull himself and Lindsay out of the pit. Extremely grateful, Trent and Lindsay thank Cody for his efforts. Cody explains his rope-swinging abilities come from watching several movies.
Just as the Bass gain the upper-hand, Geoff becomes injured and can no longer walk on his own. The "injury" turns out to be a simple splinter in his leg, but everyone in the Bass (except maybe Courtney) exaggerates the incident.
|“||I didn't know if I was gonna make it. It was touch-and-go!||”|
Geoff's incident puts the Bass behind as he must now be carried on top of the canoe held by DJ and Harold. Eventually, both teams make it to the beach to start the second part of the challenge: building a bonfire. Though the Bass are behind, they quickly catch up thanks to Duncan owning a lighter, to which Chris states that there is no rule against carrying one, while the Gophers are forced to start a fire the old-fashioned way, with sticks and rocks.
While looking for wood, Beth stumbles upon a tiki idol. Due to her being in the bathroom while Chris warned the campers to not take anything from the island, Beth is unaware of Chris's warning about the Boney Island curse on her and her team, and she secretly takes it as a souvenir. During the fire-building competition, Trent and Cody have a brief talk about Gwen. Cody follows through on his promise to Gwen and informs Trent that she has a crush on him. Trent is reluctant to believe this at first, but seems relieved when Cody assures him that he is telling the truth. Before Cody can give Trent advice on how to handle the situation, Heather interrupts the two, reminding them that they are in the middle of a challenge. Meanwhile, Geoff is dragging himself with all of his strength to contribute to the Bass' fire. Following through on his promise, DJ encourages Bridgette to examine Geoff closely in case he has developed something serious, as she has first-aid training.
|“||I owed Geoff big time. He helped me get over my fear of water. When I saw him drowning with the ladies, I had to help the dude out.||”|
Courtney is dissatisfied with the size of the fire and orders her teammates to find more wood. In a panic, Harold grabs all of the paddles from their canoes and throws them into the fire, horrifying and angering his teammates, as Bridgette angrily asks how they would get home without them. On the Gophers' end, Izzy creates a handmade and saved fire-starter made of tree sap and other assorted ingredients. She warns everyone to stand back as she tosses the ball into their fire pit, which triggers off a massive explosion, surprising everyone. When Heather asks where Izzy learned this technique, she explains she spent a summer training with the reserves and accidentally blew up the kitchen in a similar incident. She reveals that the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) are still searching for her because of that, proclaiming herself "like, so totally AWOL." Chris declares the Gophers the winners of the fire-building contest, thus starting the final leg of the challenge: paddling their way back to home base. Before taking off, Cody uses the quicksand incident as an excuse to switch places with Trent so that he can ride with Gwen while Cody rides with Lindsay and Beth on the way back. Both Trent and Gwen are grateful for this.
The Bass are left helpless with their paddles burnt. Izzy recommends that someone flutter-kick all of the canoes together from behind while paddling away. An enraged Leshawna cuts her off for assisting the opposing team, but the Bass take Izzy's suggestion into consideration. DJ is chosen to be the swimmer, being the only one strong enough to push all of the canoes at once. Geoff argues against it, knowing full well of DJ's hydrophobia. He volunteers to do it instead, but is unable to do so due to his "injury." DJ finally steps up to the plate and says he will do the deed for the sake of his team.
|“||It was all up to me. I needed to swim like a Killer Bass should, and no wedgie flop is gonna stand in my way!||”|
With his teammates cheering him on, DJ outswims every Gopher canoe and finishes with a wipe-out at home base, giving the Killer Bass the victory and invincibility. Since Izzy was the one who gave the opposing team advice that eventually helped them win, Leshawna tells Izzy that she would be the one voted off tonight. Izzy seems unconcerned about the danger she has placed herself in, but Leshawna angrily chases her away with a paddle.
During the campfire ceremony, Chris gives the marshmallows to Beth, Trent, Gwen, Cody, Owen, Heather, and Leshawna. The final marshmallow was set to either go to Izzy (who looks quite confident) or Lindsay (who is playing with her hair, seemingly not paying attention). However, before the call can be made, the RCMP abruptly make an appearance from a helicopter, shining their spotlight down on Izzy. Being the notorious liar she is, Leshawna asks Izzy if all the crazy stories she told were actually true. Izzy says that only the RCMP part was true, bids the group farewell, and screams at the RCMP that they would never get her alive. With that, she runs off into the distance, laughing maniacally while everyone else looks on in utter shock or amusement. Chris is the only one apparently nonchalant about the situation, and ends the ceremony then and there.
Later that night, Cody finds a bra under his pillow; Gwen rewarded Cody for following through on his promise. He shows it off to Owen, and tells him to enjoy doing his dishes for the rest of the competition as per their bet rules. While Gwen and Trent sit at the docks, glass is heard breaking as the scene cuts to the girls' side of the Bass cabin, to see pieces of Geoff's change bowl that he made for Bridgette all over the floor. Bridgette has a change of heart and considers it sweet after all. Despite Courtney's objections that no one will want to repair it, she asks Courtney for some glue to patch it, which Bridgette says she could do. Beth is then seen reading by herself, with her tiki doll secured next to her. Ominous lightning strikes as camera pans to the cursed idol, and several cameras zoom out in a split second to reveal the entirety of Camp Wawanakwa.
|Stephanie Anne Mills||Lindsay|
- Duncan, Harold, and Sadie appear, but they have no lines. However, they are heard cheering when the Killer Bass win the challenge.
- A member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police speaks; however, it is unknown who voiced him.
|7th Elimination Ceremony:|
Still in the running
- During the episode, Lindsay's clothes are different from her regular outfit. She is seen wearing blue shorts instead of her orange skirt, and a short red top, while her longer red top and brown vest are missing.
- There is an alternate scene in the European Cartoon Network when Bridgette asks Courtney to be her canoe partner. The camera is quite far away from Bridgette and she waves her right hand to Courtney instead of her left. It is also more forward-leaning. This scene only appears in France, Poland and Russia.
- Had Izzy not been hunted down, she would have likely had been voted off anyway for costing her team the victory.
- This episode is the first time in the show's history that a camper has been eliminated irregularly, that is, without being voted off.
- Water is the third phobia DJ admits he has. In previous episodes, he has stated that he is afraid of both heights and snakes.
- This is the first episode in the series that Chef Hatchet does not appear.
- This episode title is a reference to the phrase "Up the creek without a paddle."
- Owen's line "If this canoe's a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'" may be a reference to the Stevie Ray Vaughan's song, "The House Is Rockin'," which features the lyrics "If the house is a-rockin', don't bother knockin'."
- Boney Island could be a parody of Skull Island, home to King Kong.
- Much like Skull Island, Boney Island is filled with prehistoric creatures such as the woolly beavers and the stymphalian Canadian geese.
- It's also possible that Boney Island is a spoof of the exile island featured in Survivor: Panama, which aired in early 2006, when Total Drama Island was on production.
- Cody assisting Gwen in getting together with Trent in exchange for her bra is a reference to a storyline in the 1984 film Sixteen Candles, which used panties instead of a bra.
- Izzy says that her "licence to kill is currently expired", which is a reference to the 1989 James Bond film Licence to Kill.
- Toward the beginning of the episode, Lindsay is shown wearing half her bikini bottoms and half her shorts, although in the next scene, it changes back to just her shorts.
- This is fixed on the DVD and iTunes releases.
- Two of the campers are shown in their swimwear for only one scene.
- When Owen is approaching Heather to be her canoe partner, he is wearing his trunks. Yet when they approach their canoe, he is back in his regular outfit.
- DJ is in his trunks and missing his cap when he and Geoff approach their canoe. Yet he is in his regular outfit in the very next scene.
- In the high-definition version of the episode, DJ and Owen now correctly wear their normal clothes.
- After Trent and Lindsay escape the quicksand, Cody walks across the quicksand without sinking into it.
- When the campers are listening to Chris at the beginning, Gwen has bags under her eyes, yet they disappear in the next scene.
- This is fixed on the DVD and iTunes release.
- The Killer Bass emblem replaces the Screaming Gophers' when Izzy is seen talking to Leshawna about killing a koala bear.
- As the Killer Bass pass by the Gophers after the latter's escape from the giant geese, Bridgette and Courtney are absent during the scene.
- When one of the woolly beavers scares Leshawna and Izzy, Duncan, Harold, and Sadie are in the background, despite being on the Killer Bass.
- In several scenes, Lindsay wore her usual outfit instead of the one she is wearing in this episode:
- When Lindsay gets up to hug Cody, her bikini top has the colors of her regular top.
- While Gophers look at their fire, Lindsay wears her casual outfit.
- When Lindsay is braiding her hair during the elimination ceremony, she is wearing her regular outfit again instead of the outfit she had been wearing, and it switches back in the next shot.
- At the beginning of the campfire ceremony, Heather's hair is in a ponytail, but the next time she is seen, it is down.
- In Total Drama Island: The Complete First Season's subtitles, Boney Island is misspelled as "Bony Island" throughout the episode.
- After Harold throws the oars into the fire, Duncan is seen with his eyebrow ring on the wrong side.
- On the Netflix summary for this episode, it states that Geoff's injury was a "sliver in his hand," when his injury actually affected his leg.
- And while on the subject of Geoff, the status of his injury differs in certain scenes. Sometimes it was seen as a massive splinter akin to a porcupine quill, other times it was barely there, or not at all.
- Before the scene with Courtney and Bridgette in the Bass cabin, the exterior of the Gopher cabin is shown instead.
- Izzy's wristband is on her left wrist instead of her right when the Screaming Gophers are running away from the giant geese.